Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Angel By My Shoulder




Recently I received the following e-mail: “I was stunned by the picture of the angel by your shoulder on your website’s home page. My mother was critically ill with cancer in 1970. I was 16 at the time. Very early one morning my mother awoke in her rented hospital bed in our family room, as she often did because of pain. As she sat up in bed, she heard a voice whisper very loudly over her shoulder from behind, “Your faith has made you whole.” She always felt an angel had leaned over, as in your picture, to tell her those words. She made a gradual recovery, against all odds. Thank you for that picture. It was very moving to me.”

Her story moved me just as the picture on my website moved her. The picture is a collage by my friend Pat Bega who, in response to the e-mail, told me that the angel is Gabriel—painted by Fra Angelico—appearing to Mary to ask if she would be willing to be the mother of Jesus. Knowing this endows the collage with even more meaning for me. I have been aware of the presence of angels for most of my life, but the thought of an angel asking if I would be the mother of Jesus moves me profoundly. And my answer is a resounding yes. To me, Jesus is a personification of Divine Love, and I pray that Divine Love be born anew in my heart every day of my life. Thank you to the writer of the e-mail. Thank you, Pat. How busy the angels are, whispering in all our ears.

Listen.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret!
How beautiful! It only grows more inspiring with each reading. This is the kind of energy that gives hope for mankind.Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
See you soon,
Katharine

MichaelBearwalf said...

I would rather pour acid in my eyes than read this again.

MichaelBearwalf said...

I would rather pour acid in my eyes than read this again.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! "michaelbearwalf" has put out his order to the universe, ladies and gentlemen! Keep us abreast, "michaelbearwalf",would you, on how you are manifesting what you are attracting into your life? On second thought, get a LIFE instead, pal.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Robison:

How does one come to grips with death?

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret,
I just watched the movie Running With. Scissors and your suffering brought me to tears. I regret that you did not have a decent psychiatrists. I do not trust Hollywood so I am not sure if this is a true portrait of you.

. have you current doctors find and treated your risk factors for stroke (high blood pressure, diabetes, tendency to form blot clots)....


with best wishes
send you a big hug

Anonymous said...

Augusten(Chris) had such a unbearable childhood. His book is a work of art. Do you regret what you made him endure?
Ted A.
Boston

Anonymous said...

Ted A,
You must not be a parent with adult children.
Listen we ALL had unbearable childhoods in one way or another some worse than others, But I can tell you this we all (As parents) do the best we can with what we've got, otherwise we'd have done something different

Margaret said...

My thanks to all of you for your comments on my blog. I'm sorry to have taken so long to respond.


Katherine, I am deeply grateful if my words can give hope to humankind. Thank you for your encouragement.


MichaelBearwalf, I send you my good wishes. You certainly don't have to read my words. The world is filled with abundant beauty for your eyes.


Dear Fear & Loathing,
I was fortunate to "come grips with death" before I was four years old. I've written about it in the memoir I am completing at this time. Since early childhood I've known with certainty in my heart that death is a transition to another realm of life, and that life never ends.


Dear Anonymous,

I appreciate your compassion. And no, the movie Running With Scissors doesn't portray "a true portrait" of me, at least that's what friends who've seen it tell me. I've only seen trailers on the Internet and I don't recognize myself in those.

In answer to your question, I have fine doctors and am doing quite well.

With best wishes to you also, and thanks for the big hug.


Dear Anonymous,

Evidently my son's childhood was not totally unbearable. He spent much of it developing his writing poetry, prose, and plays. He even participated in the writing workshops I led in my home for adults. Of course I am deeply sorry for his unhappiness just as I am deeply grateful that he realized his childhood dream of becoming a famous writer.


Dear Ted A.,

I was the very best mother I could be for Chris. Certainly my shortcomings don't make me happy. But I am grateful that I was able to make positive contributions to his life.


Dear J,

Yes, indeed, we as parents "do the best we can with we've got." It sounds like you are a perceptive parent. I realized a long time ago that the important thing isn't what life gives us but what we do with it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret,
I have read all of your son's books, in fact I just finished John Elders' today. He is much kinder than his brother was, but he did talk about your mental health issues. How are you these days?? Physically and emotionally? Do you feel like you have had a good life so far? How do you feel about your sons?

With all good wishes!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Margaret

I read the book running with scissors and i must say i found you abosolutely delightful im sorry that the doctor was insane it must of been really hard. i found your zest for for life and desire to want more in youre life inspiring and it reminded me of my own mother. so good luck on your future poetry endeavors i think they r great!

Margaret said...

Dear awriteratheart,

I came to a place of joy and peace in my life long ago and am busy at work completing my own memoir, which should answer your questions quite adequately. How do I feel about my sons? I love both sons with all my heart. Thank you for your interest.

Dear Topher,

Many thanks for your supportive e-mail. I’m happy that you find my life inspiring, and that you have such a positive responsive to my poetry. For me poetry is a profound link to the spiritual.

Anonymous said...

True happiness will reach you upon reconciliation with you children.

Anonymous said...

I was interested to see that you were very interested in art museums and paintings. Me also. You have also lived in Pittsburgh, ever go to the Carnegie Art Museum?

The image where the angel is talking to Mary. I looked at about ten paintings where this was depicted today, all from the 14th century. It is very nice to see the many different ways the figures are depicted.

I have a blog also, here is url http://chrisammons.livejournal.com/

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret,

God bless you. Have you ever heard of the art museum in Baltimore called "The American Visionary Art Museum?" It is a unique and marvelous place that I think you would love.
http://www.avam.org/
check it out!!
Linda